Friday, April 01, 2005

The Big Apple

I flew into New York today for a weekend of work north of the city. The plan was to pretty much avoid the city itself, skirting it on interstates on my way to my destination, checking out Yankee Stadium along the way. That changed after a wrong turn. I ended up driving across lower Manhattan, which was somewhat cool considering that I'd never been in the city before. All in all, while it was cool, I was not overly impressed. I hear New Yorkers professing their love for the city on TV constantly, but I'll take my Chicago anyday. The one cool thing I saw that Chicago can't top was a street that looked like a canyon, lined with skyscrapers. If you are from New York, you can probably tell me what street it is; unfortunately, I can't remember because I was doing my best to avoid cabs and to not run over bicyclists. I know that I was on 23rd Street headed west, and the view was to the north. It was in the rough vicinity of Fifth Avenue.

Now, as for my weather jinx. It is still alive, but I think that it only applies on the coasts. They are talking about 3-5 inces of rain in the next 36 hours. At least I shouldn't have to be concerned about mudslides this time.

1 comment:

RPM said...

LOL. Stay away from San Francisco Bay Area! We've just managed to get some clear skies. Need to enjoy it this weekend! :-)