Monday, April 18, 2005

Goodbye, old friend

I have a tendency to opine (okay, maybe bloviate) here about beer. I may play up my love of God's golden nectar a touch, but I really do enjoy the taste of beer, and I'm also fascinated by its history and also its marketing. It is given that background that I must bid a very fond farewell to Miller's High Life man. After 7 years of "The High Life," Miller and their ad agency are putting him on ice.

I was not too fond of the High Life Man when the ads first started running. Back in 1998 I was still in college and still a haughty little snot (and a faltering liberal) who thought he had the world by the tail. I'd forgotten my roots, and the blue collar message grated on me. But as I aged, got out into the real world, and rediscovered my values (and realized that my beliefs were best represented on the other side of the political spectrum), I began to appreciate the commercials, and even admire them. The High Life man was the everyday man. And he was damn proud of it, knowing that it was he who lived the High Life.

Today I'm a little more sophisticated of a beer drinker-I actually taste the beverages instead of seeing them as mearly a means to an end. Back then I couldn't have told you the difference between a High Life, a Miller Lite, and an MGD, though. But as these commercials started to work on me, I became more willing to try this non-premium Miller High Life stuff (I was kind of a snotty beer drink, too. Why somebody just didn't kick my...). And I discovered that I liked it-it actually did taste good. And the bonus was, Miller wasn't charging me premium price for it. Goodness knows they could have.

So, after this long ramble, what's my point? (Who am I? Why am I here?) Oh, yes-I agree with this columnist. The High Life man did help save Miller High Life. And I illustrate it through my experience. I'm sure others have come to rediscover High Life over the past 7 years, an I'm sure he played a part in it. As for me, I'm going to miss the actors soothing, pride filled voice during commercial breaks on miserable Brewer broadcasts. And I'm going to enjoy the High Life in your honor, High Life man.

No comments: