Monday, April 18, 2005

Japan ready for peace in 1944?

I have my doubts, but in this Guardian story, we learn of the Japanese sub the I-52. The sub was sunk in 1944, and American Vietnam vet Paul Tidwell is trying to bring the contents of the sub back to the surface. Despite the large quantity of gold aboard the sub, their is also a letter regarding peace negotiations. At the depth the sub is at, the paper would be preserved.

I wish Tidwell luck, as he stands to make a tidy profit on this project from the Japanese government. I don't think the letter on board that ship is going to yield what he is hoping for, though. If the Japanese were serious about peace negotitations in 1944, they'd have gotten it done. That one letter did not make the difference between peace and more war.

No comments: