Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Misperception, politics, or incompetence?

I often ask myself the question in the title as I read, view, and listen to news. I asked myself that again on Monday as I read this Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article by Laurel Walker on Russ Feingold's Town Hall meeting in Wales, WI. This is the portion of the article that made me ask that question:
I wonder if the same people so ready to kill any Feingold-for-president hopes are the same ones rooting for twice-divorced (the last a very messy one, at that) and three-times-married former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
She was referring, of course, to Feingold's pending second divorce. My problem with this paragraph is that she's making a very poor comparison. Most of us at the Badger Blog Alliance have been sympathetic to Feingold over his divorce, even though most of us oppose him politically and would be part of that nefarious "ready to kill any Feingold-for-president hopes" group. I think most of us would agree that Giuliani is going to have similar political problems on the divorce issue. If Laurel is so curious, maybe she should ask. There are a lot of us at the BBA that would make a nice test sample for her. I think she'd find that the divorce is not a left wing-right wing issue, but rather an anti-divorce/divorce ambivilant issue. Her slap at the right was gratuitous, misleading, and wholly uncreative as a political time bomb.

No comments: