Monday, April 04, 2005

Spring yard work

I'm back home and my work schedule has lightened up for the time being, so I'll be giving the blogs a little TLC. But that's not what this post is about. This post is about something else I'll be giving a little TLC, that I never thought I would look forward to-spring yard work. The combination of spring fever and owning my own little piece of property has created an as yet unquenchable desire to get filthy doing yard work in the sun. This evening at work I started two projects. First, my water pipe coming out of the house broke over the winter, so I purchased all of the materials necessary to fix it, and began the task. I also broke out the leaf blower to pick and mulch some of the dead leaves that blew in late in the fall.

My joy at doing such boring, mundane tasks has led me to one conclusion: I'm well on my way to becoming a boring old coot. In a couple of months, I'll be mowing lawn in shorts that are just a little too tight and black socks that are hiked up to my knees. And sandles. By fall I'll be weeding my garden in jeans with 6 inches of plumber crack hanging out. By next spring, I'll be jacked about doing spring lawn work again-in polyester pants that come up past my belly button, all the while cussing those damn neighbor kids.

*Shudder*

I'm going to go do a kegstand now and run through the neighborhood naked. If you see a drunk 29 year old streaker sprint past your house, please avert your eyes.

No comments: