Sunday, May 29, 2005

French reject EU constitution

Well, my gut was wrong. The French today rejected the EU constitution. Get ready to watch a new dance, the Brussels two step. European beaurocrats are going to shove this constitution down the throats of Europeans one way or another. After all, they've been crafting what is less a constitution and more a beaurocratic reason for being for years now. These enlightened leaders of Europe are not going to let something as inconsequential as the voice of the people stand in their way of doing what Napolean, Hitler, and Stalin all failed at-bringing the whole of Europe under one umbrella. Don't believe me? Listen to Jacques Chirac:
"France has expressed itself democratically," Chirac said. "It is your sovereign decision, and I take note."
The key words in that quote are "your" and "...and I take note." That's politico for, "You've spoken, and I'm going to pay lip service to listening to you, but I'm going to ignore your decision."

No comments: