Monday, May 23, 2005

Madison referenda

Nearly everyone enjoys complaining about how high taxes are, or how out of control government spending is. But when they have the chance to actually vote on spending, turnouts are usually quite low. Madison is expecting a 20% turnout tomorrow for its school referenda. On top of that, Madison's referenda has been made easily manipulated by errors on absentee ballots. This should have people screaming at the top of their lungs, but it is oddly silent out there. I am not a resident of Madison, so all I can do sit back and watch. I hope Madison residents get the results they want tomorrow, be it a yes or a no on each referendum. I can't help but think they are sitting idly by while they get fleeced, though. If so, I'm not sure I'll have much future patience for Madisonians who complain about local government spending or their high property tax rates.

No comments: