Sunday, January 08, 2006

Mistaken identity or A near brush with a higher being

Ann Althouse has a doppelganger. The lovely Mrs. Jib and I enjoyed one of our favorite dates today-an evening at a Borders book store in Madison. I quickly found my haul for the day, picked out a table in the cafe, and went to stand in line for a cup of joe. As I was standing, my mind pondering the mysteries of a $2 coffee, a woman walked between myself and the woman in front of me, bumping me slightly. Perturbed, I looked up and swore that it was Ann Althouse. I got my coffee and went back to the table, which was conveniently situated so I could study this Ann-like person without seeming to be a stalker. I had her blog picture in my mind, and I was comparing features as best I could. At one point I even thought about walking over and just asking the woman, but in the end the photo analysis software in my brain determined that it was not her.

This lead to a couple of thoughts on my part. First, if I saw another blogger in public, one who I had never met nor really ever interacted with, would I introduce myself? The answer for me is decidedly no-I'd go home and write about how I thought I may have seen blogger x or blogger y :-). Secondly, how would I react if someone somehow recognized me from the two poor photos of myself that I've posted here and introduced themselves? I think I'd be flattered and creeped out. Thirdly, how would I feel if I were sitting in a cafe, minding my own business, and someone came up to me and asked if I were James Wigderson of Wigderson Library and Pub? To the third question, I decided that I'd politely say yes and charge $10 for an autograph.

No comments: