Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Conan and the Tonight Show

Uh-oh. Last night, Jay Leno said that he wanted a smooth transition for the next host of the Tonight Show, so that person, Conan O'Brien, would not have to suffer through what he did. Well, Conan won't have to suffer through exactly what Jay did, but I have a sneaking suspicion that one snarky comment by Leno ensured that a lot of media know it alls are going to loading their guns and taking aim at O'Brien.

Leno's odd comment was, "They came to me and said, 'We don't want to lose Conan O'Brien.' I said, 'Oh, OK, what does that mean?" Leno was otherwise very gracious, but that comment was very out of place. He didn't say it in that Leno-I'm-pulling-your-leg style. He had a tone in his voice. Slate's Sufer Girl, who I can pretty much do without ever reading, picked up on it as well, and she is already writing darkly about O'Brien.

I am a fan of O'Brien's. That has not always been the case. I watched his first show, and I hated it. I don't think I watched him again until I got to college. Over the years, he has earned my respect by being a showman in the spirit of Allen, Paar, and Carson. Leno has never been that. He's been a stand up comedian who does interviews. His skits are not all that good. I think the media elite has made the Tonight Show into some dignified comedic experience, however. What is acceptable for O'Brien to do at the irreverant 12:30 hour is going to draw their fury on the Tonight Show. Unfortunately, if that does occur, I think it is going to be 90% Leno's fault for making one stupid comment.

No comments: