Thursday, December 30, 2004

Chicago landmark (to me) coming down in the name of progress

The Chicago Sun-Times building in downtown Chicago (which suffered a small fire the other day) is coming down in the name of progress. As most fans of the Apprentice already know, Donald Trump purchased the Sun-Times building recently and is building a Trump Towers in its place. This saddens me because I am a geek and a loser.

As a child, I read the local newspaper almost religously. My favorite columnist of all time was Mike Royko. I did not always agree with Royko's politics, but I always enjoyed his columns. After Royko died, I devoured every book I could on Royko. Although I've never been to the Billy Goat Tavern (one of Royko's hangouts), I always took great pleasure in standing between the Trib and the Sun-Times buildings on Michigan Avenue, knowing that my op-ed hero had worked in both buildings. Soon the squat Sun-Times building on the river will be gone, and in it's place will be a gleeming tower of Trump opulence, and my joy of standing between the two buildings will be gone, as will be one connection I have to my favorite columnist.

No comments: