Thursday, December 14, 2006

Helping Leo help the planet

Earlier this week Leonardo DiCaprio posted the following question at Yahoo! Answers:

What are some simple steps or creative ideas that people can take at home and work to combat global warming?

In a statement, Titanic Leo said this about his question:

"We can all be environmentalists," DiCaprio, 32, said in a statement to The Associated Press. "Creating communities online that are interested in discussing and embracing smart, simple and serious solutions reminds us we can all take action in our own homes and where we work."

I have been motivated by Leo's question, so I am going to share three things that I think we all can do to reduce our carbon footprint, reduce global warming, and live in warm, fuzzy harmony with our environment.

1. We should all stop or greatly reduce our use of private planes. Yes, I know this is hard. So many of us would rather go to that interview in New York or to that vacation in Africa on our private planes. It is nerve wracking to fly commercial with all of the riff-raff. But by taking commercial flights, we can all save on wasted jet fuel used to just fly ourselves to and fro across the globe. We Americans are so inconsiderate that way.

2. We all love a little glamour in our lives once in a while. I for one am going to sacrifice for the planet, though. Next time the lovely Mrs. Jib and I go out on the town, we are not going to rent that stretch limo unless we can pack it tighter than a clown car. That's a lot of gas to transport around just two or four people. Instead, the next time we go to an awards event for work, we're going to take the bus.

3. Don't buy that second mansion! This one is tough for all of us. I know that when I want to get away for a while, I like to go to my mansion in the Northwoods where I can relax with all of the comforts of home. Unfortunately, that mansion still has big energy requirements the 360 days out the year when I'm not there. Instead do what I plan to do. Turn that second mansion into a hippy co-op. They'll appreciate having a roof, they are incredible at not using much energy (especially wash water), and what little energy they do use will get split amongst the 100 of them or so that live there. Oh, I'm not going to give up on my retreat. I'm going to buy a 1 room cabin that was built by the Conservation Corps. It doesn't have electricity or running water, but who needs that?

These are just three things that I think we all can do to help the environment, whether you are Joe Blow or Leonardo DiCaprio.

No comments: