Saturday, April 14, 2007

...And you must not want a tip

I had a waitress tonight who was trying really hard to be friendly, but she was very awkward. It didn't help that I was having trouble hearing her (that'll be funny later in this post) due to the low din in the restaurant. So she brought me my bill and I slipped my credit card in the bill holder. She came back with the slip and said "99?" and then something I couldn't make out. I immediately got paranoid, thinking some code 99 rejection had come back on my card, an unhappy thought this far from home with open hotel room and car rental charges already on the card. I defensively said, "what?" She repeated herself, saying, "[Card member since] '99? You must be getting ancient." I think I'd have prefered to hear that my card was rejected. Also, it was a funny thing to tell someone who hasn't filled in your tip yet.

No comments: