Wednesday, May 23, 2007

History re-discovered

Cool.
It's a rare find for the Brown County Historical Society: A 143-year-old hand-written letter by General Ulysses S. Grant turned up in Green Bay.

A few weeks ago, a volunteer was cataloging old folders and boxes inside the Historical Society's library at the Historic Hazelwood Museum when he came across a letter.

"When he turned it over and looked at the back, the signature said U.S. Grant, and so he came out to my desk and said, 'I think I found something sort of interesting,'" the historical society's Wendy Barszcz recalls.

She immediately began research and discovered she had a piece of Civil War history. "I must say I was a little shook," she laughs, "but then very excited."

I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of great historical nuggets that are 'lost' out there in poorly organized community historical societies.

No comments: