Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Hero is as Hero does?

I still don't know what stupid is as stupid does means, so I found the title above appropiate for this post. Appropriate because I don't exactly know what I did during tonight's softball game, but I ended up the hero. Here's the background.

I step up in the top of the 7th with the bases loaded and one out, game tied. In my previous at bat, I crushed a ball that the fleet footed left-center fielder ran down. On the first pitch, I get something I can handle, but I got under it too much. I cursed as I ran to first, knowing that it was a sac fly that would score the go ahead run. But in one of those beer league softball quirks, the right center fielder over runs the ball. The ball drops to the ground and rolls toward the fence. As I round second, I stop. The runner in front of me is trying to score, and the throw goes to the plate, so I advance to third. The catcher tries to get me at third, but over throws the ball. I score. In baseball, if I'm lucky, it's a double, and I advance to third on the throw, and I score on an E2. In beer league softball, it was a grand slam. After a 1-2-3 bottom of the seventh, I find myself a hero.

The moral of the story? Sometimes you have to reach up and earn hero status; other times, fate is looking for a hero and you luck your way into it.

No comments: