Monday, June 27, 2005

Jeremy Roenick snaps a bit

Hockey has been gone for a long time now. I enjoy hockey, particularly at play off time, but I was surprised at how little I missed it. Also, like the 1994 baseball strike, I found myself in the owners' corner because the players' did not have the game's best interests at heart, only their own. Still, I'm ready ready to see hockey again. Well, I was ready...
"If people are going to sit and chastise professional athletes for being spoiled and being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal that we are probably going to end up signing here in the next three weeks," Roenick said at the Mellon Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational. "They'd better understand that pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game.

"Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play 'a game,' they can all kiss my (butt). They can all kiss my (butt) because we have tried so hard to get this game back on the ice."
Umm, yeah. Those were the words of Flyers center Jeremy Roenick. I tried in my head to give Roenick the benefit of the doubt, but I can't. That quote right there is why hard working fans who are shelling out huge ching to see NHL games loathe professional athletes. First, the players aren't going to be signing on this deal because they love the game. They are going to sign on this deal because the league and the owners shut the league down for a year. If the players want a paycheck next year, they need to sign the deal. If the players loved the game, they'd have worked out a deal a long, long time ago. Roenick apparently forgot to add a couple of adjectives that fans use to refer to professional athletes-pompous and ignorant.

But Roenick didn't stop there. Nope, Roenick decided that the fans deserved an f-you for the road:
"I will say personally, personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous, and screw you guys because we have tried so hard to get this game back on the ice to make it better for the fans," he said. "And if you don't realize that, don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you to watch hockey. Period."
I say take him up on it. He apparently thinks that the players make the pro game. He forgets that it is the fans who make the pro game.

No comments: