Thursday, September 06, 2007

It sucks to be a trend setter

Especially an Apple-maniac trend setter:

Meanwhile, gadget enthusiasts who snapped up the ballyhooed iPhone before Wednesday are coping with a bitter aftertaste now that it is $200 cheaper within 10 weeks of its introduction.

The price cut, from $599 to $399 for the 8-gigabyte iPhone, immediately set off a debate on online tech forums between early adopters who said paying a premium price came with the territory and those who said they felt burned. The price reduction was too much too soon, some complained.

Hey, deal with it. This happens every time a new technology comes out. I myself bought an expensive camera in late '05 that saw price cuts in '06 and then a replacement in time for Christmas of '06. But for that fleeting moment, I had a camera most people didn't. Granted, Apple dropped their price pretty quickly, but that's life with Apple, where you are lucky if you have the latest and the greatest for a year. At least they aren't rolling out a better phone in time for Christmas.

As for me, I think I'll wait until they are giving away iPhones with new contracts. In other words, I ain't ever getting one.

No comments: