Thursday, August 07, 2008

On Brett

I was a homer for Packer quarterbacks for most of my first 14 years. By the time I got my temps, I had finally swore off my blind allegiance to Packer QBs. I bought several Packer jerseys since 1992, but I always refused to buy a Favre jersey. And I'm glad I did, despite the temptation over the past sixteen years. I am abundantly thankful for Brett Favre's career in Green Bay, and I have stories from that period that I will eventually annoy the hell out of my grandchildren with. But while Brett performed at a level his predecessors never did, he also ended up harboring a vindictiveness (his adjective) that none of his predecessors ever rose to, either. And I'm glad I never owned his jersey.

I am honest when I say that I wish Brett the best. I can't not offer him good wishes because he brought too much pleasure to me during my early adulthood years. Just the same, I really don't think the Jets are getting the player they think they are, and I think a lot of people are going to have to taste their own feet when it comes to Ted Thompson's decision making.

No comments: