Monday, July 19, 2004

In Review...

Well, it’s summer, I’ve been busy, and I haven’t taken the time to formulate my thoughts on numerous items of interest that have arisen the past several days. Because of that, I’m following a policy of if you don’t have anything intelligent to say, don’t say anything at all. Just the same, I do have a couple of items for review:
*This apparent dry run of a terrorist attack had the &%@# hitting the fan late last week. While fear for her own safety may have slightly tainted the author’s viewpoint, I suspect that by and large her story is accurate. I would expect a trained writer who was interrogated immediately after the event to be able to provide a lot of details. This story shines a light on the ignorance our government is showing when it comes to profiling. Is profiling for profiling’s sake be the policy of airlines? No, of course not. Al Qaeda would just shift tactics and begin using white recruits for operations. Should profiling be a tool that government forbids airport security from using? Again, my answer is no. In moderation, it can be a useful tool. To think otherwise is to bury your head in the sand.
*On the heels of the story above is a book claiming that Al Qaeda already has suitcase nukes in place here in the states. While I deem this story as a little less credible (at least until I can get a gander at the book), it deserves a good hard look none the less.
*Combine the two above with this recent quote from Tom Daschle (from The Federalist):
When one reporter asked Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle if the terror announcement could have been timed to steal the "political thunder" from the announcement of John Edwards for the Demo VP slot, Daschle replied, "The report is so sobering and so serious that I cannot bring myself to believe anyone in this administration would use this for political purposes."


No comments: