Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Jon Stewart

Ugh. I've pretty much considered the guy out of bounds for discussion here because everyone knows what you get with his show-a satirical and absurd look at the world with a leftish angle. It made no sense for me to waste my breath on him or the Daily Show. As of Friday night, though, Stewart decided to enter the realm of the real world when he showed up on Crossfire solely to give a rant of his own. I never thought that he himself was quite such a dick, but now mine eyes see. I'm sure his performance fired up the left, and it's their right to choose to be fired up about it. Unfortunately, for most of the rest of us, he proved to be quite juvenile. Crossfire is not worth anyone's time, really, and it never has, but Stewart's rants did nothing to put the show in it's place. In fact, his actions will give them a short term ratings boost. Stewart's ratings on the Daily Show have tumbled a bit of late, and this was an obvious ploy to bring some of his viewers back in.

If Stewart ends up with any of the network late night shows, I hope it is Craig Kilbourne's sloppy seconds again.

3 comments:

RPM said...

The Daily Show is one of the funniest, best-written shows today on TV. I feel sad that you have so much negative to say about him and his show. You are missing out on some great humor.

And no, we are not stoned slackers.

Mediaskeptic said...

I, for one, think Jon Stewart is funny. And I also think he was abolutely right in his rant against Begala and Carlson Tucker, both of whom are jokes, both of whom are barely watched. CNN has become home to the dispossessed Democrat and actors who pretend to be conservatives, and Crossfire has always been a show for nitwits.

I can't criticise Stewart for his comments. He seems across-the-board fair, more Libertarian than anything else. It is, however, sad that most people turn to a comedian for their political news. Sorta like watching Saturday Night Live and think you've read 6 newspapers.

The recent Drudge report of his remarks at a commencement were largely taken out of context and do not reflect the overall contents of his remarks which were, typically, very funny.

As a conservative, I might not share his politics, but I enjoy his humor.

Jib said...

I don't find Stewart very funny, obviously. I used to watch the show regularly in the Kilbourne days, and I enjoyed it despite the fact Kilbourne is a smug jag. I limped along in my viewership until Beth Littleford left. I then realized I didn't enjoy the Daily Show very much anymore. I catch a bit here and a bit there, but only if it happens to be on. I don't turn to it anymore.