Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Casuality perspective

I do this from time to time, comparing our current number of troops lost in Iraq to past wars. I do not do it to diminish the sacrifice of our troops today but rather in an attempt to sturdy the resolve of some of my fellow Americans. Whether that is possible any longer is up for debate, but I'll post the comparison anyway. In 1966, near the beginning of full hostilities in Vietnam, we lost 3373 American troops. That is one year, one year that was nowhere near the deadliest for our troops. In the three and a half plus years we've been in Iraq, we've lost 2838. Now keep in mind, in our history there have been battles where we've lost more than either of those numbers.

I no longer do this to sturdy resolve. I'm beginning to think we are past that point. Instead I do it to illustrate how unwilling and unable we are to wage war anymore. Don't get me wrong, our troops are amongst the most able and willing soldiers this world has ever seen. It is here at home where we are lacking. I don't think we understand what war is anymore, and I don't think we will again until something truly stomach turningly devestating happens to us. And unfortunately that day will come, be it tomorrow, 100 years from now, or a thousand years from now. History is replete with days such as that, and we are not an exception, contrary to popular belief. My concern is that we are hastening that day with our weakness here at home.

No comments: