Friday, June 06, 2008

Race, Gender, and Presidential Politics

Barack Obama has finally sealed up the Democrat nomination for president against Hillary Clinton and much has been written about the first black nominee for president.  There has also been plenty written about the cracks in the "glass ceiling."  I have remained silent on the topic because I don't feel like begrudging minorities or women any feeling of accomplishment that these two candidacies might have provided.  That said, I think I can safely say that I've grown up in a generation where racism and sexism, while not dead, have eroded and withered at steady clip.  Because of that, for me this is all anti-climatic.  I don't really care what gender or race the candidates are, and I'm looking forward to the day those two issues aren't even thought of twice.  So celebrate if you will, but let's get back to the issues, and soon.

No comments: