Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Kid Rock to perform at Bush twins' Inaugural Party?

I'll be the first to admit that I've been too busy indulging myself in a nasty case of homesickness to be as up on the news as I normally am. This story about the possibility that the Bush twins invited Kid Rock to play at their inauguration party has has hit me from multiple sources, though, and I think any controversy around it is silly. I realize that I may be a touch more socially liberal than the median conservative, but not that much. It is not like Kid Rock was invited to play at the President's official Inaugural Ball; he was (supposedly) invited to play at the party being thrown by the President's 22 year old daughters. It is non-controversies like this that make many Americans feel that conservatives are stodgy, dull, and repressive. I have to disagree with the likes of Kathryn Jean Lopez.

Yes, I know all about Kid Rock's lyrics. Yes, I'm also quite familiar with the lyrics that refer to Barbara Bush (actually, quite a visual if you ask me, and I love 'Bar'). And I do understand how a portion of Bush's base could be offended by Kid Rock's lyrics. Sometimes, on some things, you just have to chalk it up to kids (Jenna & Barbara) being kid (fans).

No comments: