Monday, December 05, 2005

Tech bleg

I know that I have a very smart readership, so I'm hoping one or two of you out there may be able to help my sister-in-law. She has a year old eMachines desktop that is running Windows XP. She lives in a college apartment complex that is wired for internet access, so all she has to do is plug a cord into her wall and into her computer and bang, she's online. Until recently, that is. The little internet icons in her system tray have disappeared, and she is no longer online. So I went into Network Connections to see if I could get her up and running, and it is as though the internet has deleted itself, because there is nothing in the Network Connections window. The New Connections Wizard doesn't even show up. I spent a healthy amount of time on the web trying to diagnose and solve this problem yesterday, but was unable to. Eventually we did an advanced re-install of Windows that saved everything to a folder called c:My Backup and reset everything to the original settings, but even that re-install failed to get her back online. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Update
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll work on it in the next couple of days and let you know what happened. Thank you, again!

No comments: