Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The depressing nature of the survivalist

Josh Manchester has a piece at TCS Daily called The Wisdom of Survivalist Crowds. The last paragraph made me shudder:

And while the American people may be divided on many issues, they are preparing for what is to come, practicing their own form of strategy by instinct - and rightly so, for, given our present course, the horrors visited upon us thus far may merit a mere footnote compared to those to be loosed upon us in the trials ahead.

I find the current rendition of survivalism akin to the bomb shelter crowds of the 1950's. They are being prudent and cautious, and may look silly 50 years from now if humanity again proves its unwillingness to destroy itself. Unfortunately, it is tough to have that confidence in humanity right now, and I find myself preparing in my mind and to a lesser extent in physicality for the possibility of the worst. My preparations are thoughts and actions that I loathe and certainly do not relish.

No comments: