Monday, October 30, 2006

St. Louis: Most dangerous U.S. city

St. Louis has the dubious distinction of knocking Camden, New Jersey out of the number one spot of most dangerous U.S. Cities:

A surge in violence made St. Louis the most dangerous city in the country, leading a trend of violent crimes rising much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to an annual list.

The city has long fared poorly in the rankings of the safest and most dangerous American cities compiled by Morgan Quitno Press. Violent crime surged nearly 20 percent in St. Louis from 2004 to last year, when the rate of such crimes rose most dramatically in the Midwest, according to FBI figures released in June.

It is unfortunate because I really do like St. Louis. It has been a dangerous city for a while, though. 13 years ago during my senior year of high school, some of my classmates and I spent time in both St. Louis and Detroit. While St. Louis was the nicer, less scary city, it was just as dangerous. I'll spare everyone the personal anecdotes, but I will say that we had more moments in St. Louis where we were in potentially bad situtations than we did in Detroit. Even given that, I still enjoy St. Louis.

No comments: