Thursday, July 01, 2004

Jonah Goldberg's Syndicated Column Today

I'm a fan of Jonah Goldberg's, as are many here in the blogosphere. In fact, he's the first columnist whose work I had developed a strong fondness of since one of my professional heroes, Mike Royko, passed away. I also love The Corner at National Review Online because not only is it informative and entertaining, but everyone over at National Review does such a great job of interacting with the readers. I try not to bug them with emails, because I'm sure they get overwhelmed with it, but once in a while I do send one. Goldberg, Rich Lowry, Kathryn Jean Lopez, and John Derbyshire have all been nice enough to send me replies (Derb is now one of my favorites, as well, as he sent me a quite thoughtful reply the one time I wrote him). But anyway, last night I sent an e-mail to Jonah Goldberg. The crap coming out of the left about Bush and supporters being Nazis, Hitler, Brownshirts has been irritating me, especially considering that Gore, Dean, and friends have been taking a page out of the fascist public speech book by appealing to the anger, fear, and hate of voters rather than to the rational world of ideas and ideals, which is much more the American political way. My email to Goldberg essentially asked his opinion on this matter, since I already knew he was writing a book on fascism. He did not reply, but a reply was not needed. I saw his syndicated column today, which covered the topic nicely.

No comments: