Monday, September 11, 2006

The Northwoods

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of one of my cousins. It was located in the Northwoods. And when I say Northwoods, I don't mean the southern Wisconsin meaning, which includes roughly everything north of the Wisconsin Dells. I'm talking way up north. I love it up there, but I could never live there. We headed up to the resort it was held at on Saturday. When we left Chippewa Falls, it was cloudy and dreary, but we drove out from under the cloud cover and enjoyed a beautiful day. The one thing that strikes me about some areas of the Northwoods is how far you are away from anything. We were probably 15 minutes from the closest town of any size, and that was only a couple of hundred people. When we turned off of the highway to go to the resort, we had to drive a mile on a dirt road. One thing made me laugh, though. We were 15 minutes from the closest place that sold food, but there were three places that sold booze between us and the food.

No comments: