Saturday, February 24, 2007

Cancel church?!

I'm watching the news tonight and I must admit that I'm surprised to see all the churches that have cancelled services tomorrow because of the snow storm. Cancel church? I don't think I've ever seen that, but there are a lot of churches doing just that tomorrow. Church is a pretty voluntary event, and services can be held even in the absence of an organist or scheduled ushers. As a child, I can remember going to church amid a few snowstorms because the trip was not a difficult one for us. Attendance would be very low those days, which means people had the good common sense not to drive if it was going to be dangerous. So is cancelling services really necessary, or do we just not have enough hardy German-Lutheran and Catholic congregations left anymore?

No comments: