Friday, April 20, 2007

The fury over NBC's broadcast of Cho video, pictures

I am sitting back reading and listening to all of the backlash against NBC for showing the video and pictures that Cho sent them, and a couple of thoughts sprung to mind. My first was, "what if Cho had mailed that material off to a blogger?" I have little doubt that most bloggers would have posted the material, even many of those who are criticizing NBC now. Because of that, I have a lot trouble taking the harping by my fellow bloggers seriously. As for the media critics, that's there pay check, to find something to complain about. My second thought was this: "What if NBC had held onto the material and not broadcast it?" I think a number of blogs and critics would have lauded NBC for its decision, but I think an even larger number of blogs and critics would be calling on NBC to release the material in the interest of allowing the public to better understand what was going on with this guy. And of course, that would have merely been a veneer of respectability on top of the significant voyeurism we have in this country. If NBC had waited, say, a week to air that material, the response to it would have been completely different.

No comments: