Monday, August 30, 2004

Night one recap

I give the first night an 'A'. McCain's speech was terrific. I'm not a fan of the man, but I can see his appeal in some circles. The 9-11 tribute was very tasteful and touching, especially when the last woman said her son was going to Iraq in December. Giuliani's speech was one which could only have been given by Giuliani. Anyone else and the media, Kerry, Edwards, the Deaniacs, the protestors, everyone would be howling bloody murder. Giuliani has the leeway to say some of those things, however, since he did lead the city through September 11th. I was nervous about how aggressive Giuliani was at first until I realized that tonight needed a little buzz in order to lead the news tomorrow. Rudy's humor and assertiveness will certainly make news, as will the booing of Michael Moore. The headlines will be about 'attacks' or 'negativity', yes, but it will help this convention dominate the air waves.

Here's what I'm looking for in the coming days. Tomorrow, the buzz will also be about how tonight was all about war. Couric and Rather and Jennings will all be howling about how this President is afraid to talk about his domestic record. Later in the convention, domestic issues will be addressed, and they will be addressed in such a way that everyone will be talking about them. All of the speakers are very engaging and very likable. I may want to revise my bounce number. I'll sleep on that-in me they were preaching to the choir tonight. I'm curious to see reaction tomorrow.

No comments: