Monday, August 30, 2004

Raspberry

I'd like to address a rather stupid comment in William Raspberry's column today. Here's the quote that offends:

The problems with Bush are (for those who would vote for virtually anyone else) obvious and important. He has tilted the economy toward the rich and away from the middle class.

Umm, I'm middle class. Middle middle class. To consider me rich would be preposterous. Here's what's happened to me economically during Bush's term. I started out in retail management. I was terribly unhappy, and I left in early summer 2001. What I didn't realize was the job market had tightened and I spent a summer unemployed while I looked for a job. By fall, I was working a terrible temp job in a meat factory, which I actually started on September 10th, 2001. The next afternoon I thought I was going to be doomed to that job for a long, long time. In January I started a new job that was back in my field. The pay was a little lower than what I left the previous May, but I worked, I had the opportunity to show what I was capable of and I was promoted. Now I've been entrusted with a brand new project for the company. I'm happier than I was in early 2001, and I'm buying my first house. Tell me how the economy has been tilted away from me and towards the rich. I bet you can't do it with a straight face.

1 comment:

Mediaskeptic said...

Even if Raspberry had the exact same experience as you, he would not write any different. He is paid to think that way. Otherwise he wouldn't be writing for the Washington Post. It's class warfare rhetoric. Them versus us. It's what he uses to rationalize his opposition to ... something.. anything... whatever the WashPo seems to be against.

If it wasn't the class warfare thing, it would be racism, gayness, ethnic separateness. Whatever. He is, after all, just a very mediocre writer. Which is why newspapers are declining. Who needs to read that crap? <--- bad word (washes mouth out with soap) There are thousands of more original writers of blogs, and thanks to the Internet, access to brilliant writers you would never see in the Washington Post.