Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Bad Winter About to Get Worse

This has been a miserable winter in Southern Wisconsin. In fact, I'm about ready to consider it the worst one I've lived through. Not too shabby considering I grew up in the northwestern part of Wisconsin during a time known for snowy winters. We've had multiple Snowpocalypses this year, a phenomenon we normally only get to joke about once or twice a year, and the local meteorologists have been warning us about another one for a couple of days now. This storm has just started to roll into my neck of the woods, and its first punch isn't pretty. It started raining about 15 minutes ago, and upon hitting any surface, that rain has turned to ice. I can already ice skate across my wood deck. I'm not sure how long it is going to ice, but we are scheduled to get 4 to 6 inches of snow on top of whatever ice we get. Other parts of the country can tell you that an ice storm followed by wet, heavy snow is a recipe for disaster. Right now, I'm hoping that the air temperature gets warm enough here to melt that accumulating ice before the snow sets in.

No comments: