Thursday, October 27, 2005

Feeling good today?

Well, are you? You should never let your highs get too high, then. Go read Peggy Noonan for your downer. A taste for you:
I'm not talking about "Plamegate." As I write no indictments have come up. I'm not talking about "Miers." I mean . . . the whole ball of wax. Everything. Cloning, nuts with nukes, epidemics; the growing knowledge that there's no such thing as homeland security; the fact that we're leaving our kids with a bill no one can pay. A sense of unreality in our courts so deep that they think they can seize grandma's house to build a strip mall; our media institutions imploding--the spectacle of a great American newspaper, the New York Times, hurtling off its own tracks, as did CBS. The fear of parents that their children will wind up disturbed, and their souls actually imperiled, by the popular culture in which we are raising them. Senators who seem owned by someone, actually owned, by an interest group or a financial entity. Great churches that have lost all sense of mission, and all authority. Do you have confidence in the CIA? The FBI? I didn't think so.
Oh yeah, there's more where that came from. Just the stuff I like to read 2 months short of 30.

Update
I'm trying to be a more optomistic person, so in response to Noonan, I would like to say that this feeling of the wheels coming off is cyclical. I would argue that there was a similar feel in the late 70's to early 80's, especially among those of a certain age bracket. But still, she brings up some worthy fears. I think the philosopher Billy Joel said it best when he said, "the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't bad as it seems."

No comments: