Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yes, but will he leave his blinker on?

A 72 year old has entered to qualify for the 2007 Daytona 500.

1966 was a year of change and new beginnings in America. Ronald Reagan was elected Governor in California and began a political career that would lead to the White House; NASA began test launches for the Apollo series, thus starting a program that would result in a successful moon landing in 1969; and James Harvey Hylton was named "Rookie of the Year" in NASCAR's Grand National Division, starting an amazing career that would span five decades.
[...]
When asked why he has sat his sites on the 2007 Daytona 500, Hylton states "I have never been able to come to Daytona with a well-financed operation and a first-rate car. I have always wanted to be able to race the 500 and not be limited by budget constraints and even though it has taken over 40 years, I am finally at that position. At my age, the odds against me are astronomical but it's a challenge and I love a good challenge."

I wish him luck. If a 60 year old Sylvester Stallone can make a credible boxing movie (Rocky Balboa was an excellent flick, by the way), then why can't a 72 year old give the Daytona 500 a try? Just the same, perhaps we should be thankful there are no farmer's markets on the infield.

No comments: