Saturday, June 02, 2007

What was your life like 19 years ago

A Pole wakes from a 19 year coma to learn that communism has collapsed.

A 65-year-old railwayman who fell into a coma following an accident in communist Poland regained consciousness 19 years later to find democracy and a market economy, Polish media reported on Saturday.
[...]
"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Grzebski told TVN24, describing his recollections of the communist system's economic collapse.

"Now I see people on the streets with cell phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin."

Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital.


Wouldn't life be bizarre for any of us after spending 19 years in a coma? Ganted, Grzebski woke to find that his nation's situation was completely different, but all of us would find the world a strange, unfamiliar place after 19 years in a coma.
19 years ago, I was convinced that my baseball card collection was going to make me very wealthy. In fact, I was fairly certain that there would be an NYSE type exchange for baseball cards by now. Many family members, friends, loved ones have passed in that time. Back then I did not even know that the town that I currently live even existed. And that does not even touch upon the technological and social changes we've all witnessed.

So where were you 19 years ago?

No comments: