Saturday, March 26, 2005

*61

In what is becoming a Friday night tradition, I'm cracking open a brand new DVD and falling asleep on the couch so I can wake to the lovely Mrs. Jib coming home from work in the morning. Tonight's movie is *61, which is one of my favorite baseball movies. There is a little extra excitement for me in watching *61 tonight because next Friday I'll be flying into New York for a weekend business trip. On my way to my destination, I'll be driving past Yankee Stadium. I have no love for the Yankees, but it is tough to not get excited if you get to see one of the most history laden stadiums in baseball history.

As for *61, I've always been a heavy Maris sympathizer, going back to my pre-teen, baseball card collecting years. The movie is a wee bit more painful to watch now given the emotional role Mark McGwire plays in it. Especially considering that I was a McGwire fan, too.

There is some talk going around about whether McGwire and Bonds deserve Hall of Fame enshrinement. I believe the latest polls had people in favor of it for Bonds, and not in favor of it for McGwire. Right now, I support enshrinement for both, although I reserve the right to change my mind. Both were Hall of Fame caliber players without the steroids; McGwire hit 49 homers as a skinny little rookie, and Bonds was an elite player as a skinny little outfielder. In fact, I'd be willing to say that McGwire's career numbers were stunted due to steroid related injuries, and that he cut his career short because he saw the steroid writing on the wall and wanted to avoid the spotlight of a chase of Hank Aaron. After this week's news from Bonds, we may see him hang it up before he gets to 755 in order to avoid the glare as well.

Their numbers will forever be tainted, and I think that is punishment enough given that steroids were technically legal in baseball. This entire controversy is baseball's fault (players and owners) for not having the backbone to outlaw the damn things and test for them. Baseball has to live with the tarnish. And that includes having these guys in their Hall of Fame.

No comments: