Thursday, March 24, 2005

Federalism & Schiavo

I am a person who identifies myself as a Federalist. I also supported Congress’s decision to bump the Schiavo case to Federal jurisdiction. If you care to call me a hypocrite, that’s fine by me. I’d rather be called a hypocrite for supporting something that I believe in than be someone who is using Federalism as a shield to deflect criticism of the fact that their real motivation in this case is that they feel Terri should be dead. After much reading, I am convinced that there are a number of people on the right who are using this tactic, people who in certain other cases would also abandon Federalism if the case fit with their political beliefs. I’m disappointed in them, and my respect for a few of them is greatly diminished.

If you are a true, ardent, in all cases Federalist, you may disregard this. But there are very few “in all cases” Federalists out there.

Update
I've decided to soften this (without prompting, I might add). It is possible to have Federalist objections here. My problem is that far too many people on the right really are hiding behind that when it is clear that their main motivation is that they agree with the decision to pull Schiavo's tube.

No comments: