Thursday, July 21, 2005

Concern about Roberts

I am cautiously optomistic about Roberts as a Supreme Court Justice. I have one concern, though. Roberts seems (sorry, no cites at this time) to have carefully crafted a life that would allow him to attain high levels of the Judiciary. It seems he is on the record in support of both conservative and liberal causes (and on Roe, both sides of the same cause). That could mean two things. One, that he is an eminently fair human being. Two, that he's a guy that has lived his life with his finger in the wind of public opinion. Part of the problem with Supreme Court right now is that it seems to take into consideration things like foreign law and public opinion. I'm hoping number one is the case. But I'm afraid number that two might be.

Actually, there is a number 3-that I'm way off base with this analysis. But I heartily doubt that could be the case. :-)

Update
Jessica McBride gives me more reason to get squishy on Roberts.

No comments: