Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Peg Lautenschlager & her July 17 speech

As I've tried to make time in my schedule and room in my brain to blog the last couple of days, Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager's decision to speak at the July 17th Gay & Lesbian Pride Rally in Madison immediately following a speech by the plaintiffs in a suit against the state has been on my mind. I've not commented on it, though, because it is just such an easy target. Anyone, supporter or opponent of Lautenschlager's, should be able to see how monumentally dumb this was, and I shouldn't have to chime in and say so myself. This story leads into a much larger point about the Attorney General, though. Most voters are forgiving types. One mistake, two mistakes, no big deal. Lautenschlager has shown a lack of good judgment over and over again during her term, though. Normally, if the state Attorney General is going to personally prosecute what should be an easy multiple murder case, I should be at ease that they are going to get the job done, regardless of political party. Lautenschlager, however, engenders no such confidence from me. She will be prosecuting Chai Vang in the Rusk County deer hunter murders case. After all of her missteps while in office, I can't help but worry that she will somehow find a way to make a circus of a case that touches a raw spot in the Northwest region of the state. Because of her pattern of poor judgment, I can't see how state voters can rationalize re-electing her. In fact, I can't see why state Democrats wouldn't throw their full weight behind unseating her in the primaries.

No comments: