Friday, July 21, 2006

Clarifying my position on bees

Tee Bee defends the bee in the comments to an earlier post of mine. In response, I'd like to clarify my position. I view any flying insect with the capability to sting as a bee. In my opinion, all of these creatures are to me as the Luftwaffe was to the Brits during the Battle of Britain. The difference is that I have no aerial defenses. Therefore, all of these insects are my mortal enemies. When I can, I will destroy them. When I cannot destroy, I will live to fight another day. Towards the end of my "stiff upper lip" years towards bees, a disturbing thing happened. I was stung on the hand and for the first time, I experienced localized swelling from a bee sting. I have not been stung since, in part because I now view my battle with flying, stinging insects as a battle of life or death. I respect Tee Bee's admiration for common, non-aggressive bees. As for me, the only bee that does not feel my ire is the bumble bee. It has never stung me, and it has never shown any interest in sticking around me long enough to do so. To me, the bumble bee is as harmless as the Canadian Air Force.

No comments: