Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Is that a beetle? No, a yellow jacket nest

Ugh, stories like this make me not want to leave home.

To the bafflement of insect experts, gigantic yellow jacket nests have started turning up in old barns, unoccupied houses, cars and underground cavities across the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
[...]
At one site in Barbour County, the nest was as large as a Volkswagen Beetle, said Andy McLean, an Orkin pesticide service manager in Dothan who helped remove it from an abandoned barn about a month ago.

As a child, I was stung on the tongue and my life long fear/hatred of bees began. For a time in my late teens and early twenties, I'd put up a brave face, mostly so as not to embarrass myself in front of the ladies. By now, the lovely Mrs. Jib has seen me embarrass myself in nearly every way possible, so I feel free to run away from bees with my arms flailing and a high pitch squeal coming out of my mouth. If I lived in Alabama, I'd only leave home in a bee keeper's suit.

No comments: