Monday, July 31, 2006

A rare win, and ugly play

Monday was a rare night for the old softball team. We looked like we had our s*** together. Oh, I tried to single handedly destroy that in the first. I booted a ball off the heel of my glove at short. That runner scored. Then I had a second ball hit to me. I fielded it cleanly, but I had the jitters from the first E, so I double clutched which meant I had to get the ball off in a hurry. At first I though our first baseman was going to be able to stretch and catch my throw, which was down the line. He missed it by that much. It did not miss the rib cage of the runner, though. I throw pretty hard, and the thud was disgusting to most who witnessed it. I've hit runners with throws before, so I felt bad for the guy but I wasn't totally distressed about it. Despite the fact that I think his teammates thought I killed him for a minute, he came out of it sore but okay. I was relieved that he didn't have to leave the game; when I was in high school I was trying to throw a runner out at third from center and he was right in line with my third baseman. My throw hit him in the back of the helmet. That made a sickening cracking sound and I knocked him out briefly. That was probably the most unnerving thing I've done on a ball diamond, and I've had may fair share of injuries and inflicted my fair share as well.

No comments: