Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Rumors of the Obama Campaign's Demise are Greatly Exagerated

Tonight's Clinton Comeback is stunning. I'll admit that I was one of those who thought Obama had delivered a knockout blow against her in Iowa. Based on her and Bill's actions in New Hampshire, I can't help but believe that they thought so as well. But those contrarian, cantankerous citizens of New Hampshire gave new life to the Clinton campaign tonight with a big victory over Obama. The storyline has already developed that this the end of the Big Mo' for Big O'. I wouldn't get to excited about that storyline. Obama's appeal to quote-unquote 'independents' will make his path a little rockier because of closed primaries, but I am convinced that we'll see the Democratic nomination see-saw back and forth between the two of them. I don't think Obama's momentum is gone, but it will be blunted in some states.

As for the Republicans. If you don't already have plans to go to the convention in St. Paul, make 'em now. This could be a once or twice in a lifetime convention. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see one mess of a brokered convention, and I suspect a name we all dismissed long ago is counting on just that.

No comments: