Saturday, May 28, 2005

Memorial Day weekends past and present

This weekend is the first Memorial Day weekend in five years that I haven't gone up north and roughed it with a few friends and their family. I must say, I miss the hours of fruitless fishing, the grilling of steaks for dinner, the beer and bloody buddies in the evening, and the crappy coffee and headaches in the mornings. Just the same, I'm tired of driving 4 hours to freeze and get soaking wet, so I don't mind taking the year off as much.

So this year I am going to partake in an older tradition of mine. On Sunday, I'm going to hunker down for a marathon of racing. Then on Monday I'm going to hunker down again for a day full of war movies. I did a check of AMC and Turner Classic Movies to see what they are playing on Monday, and I was disappointed. No Stalag 17. No The Great Escape. No John Wayne. No Dirty Dozen. The lack of some of my favorite war movies may drive me back to the North Woods next year.

No comments: