Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Cell phones in obnoxious places

Two recent media stories got me thinking about cell phone usage. The first was Jeff Wagner's show on 620 AM WTMJ last Saturday. He was talking about how obnoxious it would be if the FCC and the FAA would allow cell phone use on planes. The other was this Mike Adams article, Cell Phone Sociopaths. Together they brought to mind my biggest cell phone pet peeve-cell phones in public restrooms.

I can't speak for the ladies out there, as I make it a habit to avoid your restrooms, but in the men's room, it seems the use of cell phones is an epidemic. It is a habit that seems to be exacerbated by alcohol, but common even at the local mall. I'll be standing there at a urinal, and in will walk a guy and stand next to me. His cell phone will ring or worse yet, he'll dial it, and hold a conversation right there with all of the attendant bathroom noises. And 9 times out of 10, the guy is talking to a woman. Why!? Can someone please tell me why?! Do you think it will impress her to think of what you're doing at that moment? The handy thing about cell phones today is they have two handy features-caller ID and voice mail. Call them back when you're done! I do not like to have you peeing next to me with your phone cradled between ear and shoulder, one hand free and gesturing wildly, and the other trying to control the business at hand. Makes me a touch nervous. And what does the person on the other end of the line think? They must be able to hear toilets flushing and all of the other disgusting sounds which I will not catalog here. Damn, guys. The call can wait.

If I had ever done this to the lovely Mrs. Jib, she would never have agreed to become the lovely Mrs. Jib. If I did it today, irreconcilable differences would be the talking point around our dinner table.

(Apologies to Jeff Wagner and Mike Adams for my having lumped them into this horrifying post)

No comments: