Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A move in the right direction

I love the idea of this bill:
Pettis introduced a bill Monday that would lower the legal drinking age from 21 to 19 for members of the armed forces stationed in Wisconsin serving on active duty. He's also trying to round up support for such a proposal at the federal level.
I find it bizarre that an 18 year is legally an adult in the eyes of the law but cannot buy beer. I'm sure this bill will fall on a lot of deaf ears, but I think soldiers, above all other 18-20 year olds, should be able to legally have a drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly - we gladly accept 18 year olds for military service, allow them to marry etc. but make alcohol illegal. I also agree that 19 is an age that would (ideally) keep alcohol out of highschools, but allow adults to fully be accepted as adults in all facets of society. Ironically, with the legal age at 21, underage alcohol consumption becomes a challenge to under 21's - can I get away with it?!