Friday, November 25, 2005

(In the) Black Friday

Wait a second. You mean to tell me people go shopping the day after Thanksgiving?

This day, Black Friday, almost single handedly ruined Christmas for me. For three years while I was in college I worked in retail, and then for a couple of more years after that in retail management. Prior to that experience, I was a Christmas freak. By the end of that 5 year period, I loathed it. The Christmas season brings out the best in a lot of people...unless they are in a store. The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas entails a lot of hard work for retail employees-keeping the shelves stocked for your shopping convenience is no small task. Then heap on top of that long hours, very rude customers, sick, wailing children, and an overdose of Christmas music, and you have an unhappy season for many with retail jobs. Poor bastards. I'm glad I got out when I did.

No comments: