Friday, December 02, 2005

Ball and glove logo returns!

The Milwaukee Brewers ball and glove logo returns! It was introduced tonight as the new Sunday home uniform for the team. I love the logo and the decision. First, I cut my baseball teeth on the Brewers of the 1980's. They were by and large successful teams with very popular players, and this uniform ties the future of this team into that past. It is also one of the most clever logos I've ever seen. There are people who, to this day, don't realize that the glove is made out of an m and a b. As a youngster, the logo bothered me because I didn't understand why the glove only had three fingers. Sometime around age ten the m-b thing finally clicked.

Business-wise, this also makes a lot of sense. Miller Park is going to be rocking and rolling on Sundays next season. I think that a lot of us who cheered for those 1980's teams are going to want tickets to see our young and exciting team in those threads. Additionally, it is going to create a small apparel boon for the Brewers. I own 5 baseball jerseys, but I haven't purchased a new one in about 5 years. That will probably be changing soon. I always wanted a Jeff Cirillo jersey, and now I'll probably buy it.

As they made the announcement, the only thing that disappointed me was the fact that we'd only get to see this uniform 13 times next year. There is hope, though, that we'll see it more than just 13 times:
The question is, will the retro uniforms be worn only on Sundays at home? Yost, known to be a bit superstitious, had the team wear its alternate blue jerseys regularly during winning streaks last season.

"I'm not sure it will be just on Sundays," Yost said. "Those uniforms were mighty good to us. It felt good to see them again."

Here's to a lot of Brewer winning streaks next year.

No comments: