Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A hideously early 2008 thought

It is terribly early to be talking about the 2008 election, and I plan on only doing so sporadically until later this year when things start to get more serious. I will say this, though: Newt Gingrich is grabbing my imagination, and unless someone better enters the field, he may wind up with my support if he runs. He is saying the things I want to hear from a Republican right now, but of course that could easily change over the course of this year and early next year.

Occasionally I hear "electability" when Gingrich's name is brought up in connection with '08. To hell with electability. I hope Republicans don't fall into that trap. Electability is loser talk. In a somewhat lackluster field, he may just end up being the best candidate for conservatives. But we have an entire year for this to shake out-a month from now, Newt may end up looking like a newt.

No comments: