Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'd have dropped out

I'm on the road right now, and I was listening to Rush Limbaugh on the car radio this afternoon when I heard him somewhat surprisedly announce that Elizabeth Edwards' cancer was back and "treatable but not curable." First off, I feel terrible for the Edwards family. That is something you don't want to see anyone have to experience. Secondly, I just don't understand John Edwards' decision to stay in the race. If I were just told that my wife had cancer that was treatable but not curable, and her long term prognosis were uncertain, I'd have been out of the race in a heart beat. A presidential campaign and a presidency itself is incredibly difficult. If I had to choose how to spend that uncertain amount of time left with my wife, the focus would certainly be on her, not on my ambitions. Maybe this is the right thing for them, but I'm not going to pretend to understand why.

No comments: